target 'lib/ld/linux' does not exist

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Mon Jan 28 13:54:31 CET 2019

Hello Wouter,

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 01:15:16PM +0100, Wouter van Oijen wrote:
> When I try to run a scenario with "KERNEL=nova" on platform "linux",
> in most cases I get the following error:
> Error: target 'lib/ld/linux' does not exist
>
> Does anybody know what causes this and how I can resolve this error?

First I was puzzled what you meant by "on platform linux" but
evidently you generated your build directory by

  ./tool/create_builddir linux

This variant of create_builddir creates a build directory for the
_target_ platform linux only, i.e., base-linux [1]. This clearly
contradicts with you running the scenario for KERNEL=nova and, thus,
compiling ldso for nova only. What you need to run is following.

  ./tool/create_builddir x86_64
  make -C build/x86_64 run/something KERNEL=nova
  make -C build/x86_64 run/something KERNEL=linux

Please note that an x86_64 build directory permits you to run
scenarios for all x86-64 platforms, which are nova, hw, sel4, linux,
and foc.

[1] The mere reason we kept "./tool/create_builddir linux" is that
    this is the only variant that is CPU-agnostic and automatically
    chooses the correct hardware target (x86_64, x86_32) for your
    machine.

Best regards
--
Christian Helmuth