Error: hammer ABI contains Genode-internal symbol '__bss_start'

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Wed Jan 9 23:55:50 CET 2019

Dear Genodians,

I'm back at learning how to do packaging.

By following the developer-resources/porting_libraries guide, I ported
the Hammer parser combinator library into a Genode port [1]. It builds
and runs a simple test. (commit 665e71d).

Now I want to make it a depot package. I copied the structure from
libports/expat and adapted it. I have a recipes/{api,src}/content.mk
(commit XXXXXX)

I created the lib/symbols/hammer file by

! tool/abi_symbols bin/hammer.lib.so

Then I run the build:

! ~/genode/tool/depot/create guido/bin/x86_64/hammer UPDATE_VERSIONS=1
   FORCE=1 KEEP_BUILD_DIR=1

It starts good:
! created guido/api/base/2018-11-23
! created guido/api/hammer/2019-01-08
! created guido/api/libc/2018-11-26
! created guido/src/hammer/2019-01-08-a

However, I get this error during the compile of hammer.
! MERGE    hammer.lib.so
! Error: hammer ABI contains Genode-internal symbol '__bss_start',
! Error: hammer ABI contains Genode-internal symbol '__eh_frame_start__'
all from the symbol_blacklist defined in check_abi.

It ends with this error: recipe for target 'hammer.lib.checked' failed

So where did I go wrong?

(Maybe this is an item for the list of missing documentation).

1: https://github.com/gwitmond/genode-hammer-library