Noux dev environment

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sat Apr 6 21:43:38 CEST 2019

On 4/5/19 2:04 PM, Joel Desermeau via users wrote:
> Hello again my friends :)
>
> I'm just a junior sysadmin, but I want to learn how to program in C and
> C++. Could a noux environment be created with compilers and debugging
> programs like gdb and valgrind?
>
> Maybe one day I'll be good enough to be a Genode developer :) I can dream.

I'm going to let the devs answer your actual question ("Building Genode
packages directly on Sculpt" is on the public Roadmap for later in the
year), but I'll just mention a couple of quick things.

For now, developing for Genode is done in Linux.  The whole installation
process is described in "Genode Foundations"
(http://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-18-05.pdf).  (They
recommend Ubuntu LTS, but I've been using Debian Unstable for years
without problems.)

You need to download the Genode-specific build tools, which are very
polished and pleasant to work with.  Right now everything is done from
the command-line, but there is nothing to prevent someone from
configuring an IDE to invoke them (and writing about it for Genodians.org!).

(Personally, I do my Genode development in a VirtualBox VM, to keep
things clean.  And I believe the Genode team do the same, but running on
a Genode host!)

As you're learning C++, it will be interesting to keep in mind that the
Genode team has chosen to use only a subset of C++, to prevent many
common problems that C++ is famous for.  Norman wrote an interesting
article on this subject at Genodians.org
(https://genodians.org/nfeske/2019-01-22-conscious-c++).

As you find answers to things that are not obvious to new developers,
please feel free to write them up for Genodians.org.  It could save a
lot of time for new developers coming after you!

  Hope this helps a little,

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com