Genodians.org Feature Requests

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Mon Apr 1 23:03:35 CEST 2019

On 4/1/19 2:58 PM, Valery V. Sedletski via users wrote:
> On 31.03.2019 23:33, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> Hello Genodians,
>>
>> The content on Genodians.org has been so interesting and varied that I
>> worry we might lose valuable content in the sheer volume as time goes
>> by.  Here are a couple of ideas that I thought might help (probably
>> already on the "to do" list, but just in case):
>>
>> 1. "Sticky" / "Featured" Posts - Things like the announcement for the
>> latest release, other important news, etc. should probably be kept
>> at/near the top or in a special area.
>>
>> 2. Search / Filter Tags - I think it would be helpful to add "tags" to
>> the posts to make it easier to find items on a certain subject.  I
>> would recommend defining the format and adding the tag data as soon as
>> possible, even if the feature isn't implemented for a while - it's
>> always harder to go back over a lot of data than to enter it as the
>> records are added.
>>
>> Just food for thought...
>>
>>  Thanks!
>
> Yes, I agree that these features are good to have as they would make
> Genodians.org much more convenient to use. But this will require some
> scripting to implement these features. Currently, Genodians.org is
> implemented as a simple web site with static content, only.

Indeed.  The "featured post" feature is the easier of the two, and
shouldn't be too hard to implement with the current system.

I only brought up the "tags" idea at this time, because it will be a lot
of (thankless) work to go back and add tags later.  The data format
could be defined (and data entered) before the feature is actually
implemented.

Like I said, just a thought.

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher