missing symbols for qt5_widgets

Nobody III hungryninja101 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:02:25 CEST 2018

When linking object code that includes a custom subclass of QPlainTextEdit,
I get the following error: undefined reference to `typeinfo for
QPlainTextEdit'

I have been able to solve this problem by keeping more of the qt5_widgets
symbols than those available in the depot API package, which are obtained
from https://github.com/cproc/genode-symbols.

When looking at the symbols file, I see that the typeinfo and vtable
symbols were manually added for some Qt5 widget classes. Given the
commonly-used ability to inherit Qt5 classes, wouldn't it be best to keep
these symbols for all classes? The classes with names that end in Private
could be split into a separate API package for compatibility and/or to
reduce the size of the symbols lists and the resulting .lib.so files.