First steps with Sculpt on Dell XPS 13

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Wed Oct 10 11:11:22 CEST 2018

On 09.10.2018 15:03, Roman Iten wrote:
> On 10/9/18 1:50 PM, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
>>> So it turns out that at least pressing FN+F8 (toggle? display), FN+F11
>>> (decrease brightness) and FN+F12 (increase brightness) render the system
>>> unusable.
>>
>> does it happen with or without acpica as app running ?
>
> It happens in both cases: with vanilla sculpt where no app is running as
> well as with acpica running.

I suspect your embedded controller together with ACPI irq handling, but
it is just guessing.

I presume you don't have serial output available?

May you please try some simple (non graphical) run scenario (usb_hid).
If this also already get stuck when you press your keys, can you please
setup the nova spinner setup for the nova kernel, see [0]. You will have
to boot in non-UEFI mode (either USB or if not working try via PXE).

Does some running spinner get stuck or become running at a high speed ?

If you need VGA text console output from Genode's side, you may try to
adjust my outdated commit of [1] - or maybe (never used it myself) try
to use [3] as mentioned in [2].

Good luck,

Alex.

[0] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2018-October/006392.html
[1] https://github.com/alex-ab/genode/commits/experimental_vga_console_16_08
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/2880
[3]
https://github.com/jklmnn/genode-trabant/tree/vga_scrolling/src/drivers/vga_log

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com - https://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden