Hello, world!

Wouter van Oijen wouter.van.oijen at technolution.nl
Tue Nov 13 10:50:00 CET 2018

This is my first message to this mailinglist, so Hello, world! ;-)

I'm new to Genode and trying to learn the basics. Our goal is to
develop a setup that demonstrates the application of Genode to create
a powerful separation between critical and non-critical code. Genode
looks really promising for this!

To get a better understanding of the build environment and Noux in
particular, I'm trying to run a simple "Hello, world" application on
Noux. However, I don't know how to achieve this yet. The Porting Guide
[1] doesn't help me much, as I don't think the example is really
applicable to my use case. It raises the following questions:

* Is it necessary to create a "port file" for any application I want
to run on Noux (even if it's just a simple application consisting of
one source file that is already part of the build directory)?
* How can I add files generated by the Genode build system to the Noux
environment, so that I can call my "hello" binary from bash in Noux?

Any help or a working example would be much appreciated. It would help
me much if someone could explain me how to extend the "run/noux_bash"
[2] example to include my hello-world application, if this is right
way to continue.

[1] https://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/porting_noux_packages
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/ports/run/noux_bash.run

Kind regards,

Wouter van Oijen
Lead Designer

T +31(0)182594000 | E wouter.van.oijen at technolution.nl
A Burgemeester Jamessingel 1, P.O. Box 2013, 2800 BD Gouda, The
Netherlands | W technolution.com

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not
be passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than
the addressee(s). Technolution B.V. rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.