Closing laptop lid disables nitpicker focus/input functions

Boris Mulder boris.mulder at ...434...
Fri May 4 13:48:11 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I experienced an issue while closing the laptop lid on some hp840
machines. I know you have not tested these laptops, but the behaviour is
really curious, so maybe you know better what might be going on.

  * I am running the sculpt scenario from staging. Everything works
    fine, until I close and open the lid of the laptop.
  * When I reopen it, the current focused window still does its job.
    However, when I switch the focus, for example by triggering the
    leitzentrale on and off by pressing F12, nothing happens.
  * I tried setting the report_rom to verbose. It shows the
    global_keys_handler -> leitzentrale report is not updated by
    pressing F12. However, in my leitzentrale window which is still
    active I can type things, execute programs and view the log.
  * This happened when the leitzentrale was on before I put the lid down
    and up.
  * When I put the leitzentrale off and focus my runtime (which is just
    the fs runtime with a noux shell) before closing and opening the
    lid, it also cannot change the focus and only the client that was
    focused before closing the lid (the noux shell) receives input. F12
    again does nothing.
  * In fact I tried it with more complicated runtimes and all the time
    only the component which had focus (in this case the leitzentrale)
    still works, the other components cannot get focus or input events.
  * Report_rom does not give me a focus-, hover-, or any other report
    when I press a global key, hover over or click on any component,
    including the focused component. For example, when I have
    leitzentrale active, the log does not show any report updates when I
    click or move the mouse. Starting and stopping a runtime works fine,
    and the runtime gives a nice focus report (if I had focused that
    runtime before). But pressing F12 does not disable the
    leitzentrale_enabled flag (or gives any useful output).
  * It happens both with the intel_fb_drv and the vesa driver. It does
    not happen on a lenovo x250.

Somehow it seems that nitpicker fails to detect any input events
(whether from a USB device or the embedded ps2 pad+keyboard), though it
forwards those events that belong to the focused client correctly. What
could cause this?

What happens in the Genode components in the GUI stack when the lid is
opened or closed? When I run linux on that laptop I can close and open
it just fine.

--

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Boris Mulder

Cyber Security Labs B.V. | Gooimeer 6-31 | 1411 DD Naarden | The Netherlands
+31 35 631 3253 (office)