Memory write tracing/logging of an application / Watchpoints in Genode/Fiasco.OC

Martin Stein martin.stein at ...1...
Wed Mar 14 16:22:00 CET 2018

Hi Josef,

El 12/03/18 a las 18:19, Josef Stark escribió:
> I experimented a bit and after comparing the actual register contents of
> R0-R15 inside the child application with the contents of the
> Thread_state register backup (R0-R15) that is delivered to my fault
> handler, it seems like Genode (or Fiasco.OC or the glue code) delivers
> the registers in a strange mapping, where some original regs are mapped
> to different regs in the backup, and some do not appear at all. The
> mapping is like this:
>
> Thread_state    | Child    | Child - Alternative Possibility
> R0        | R9    | R7
> R1        | R10    | R4
> R2        | R11    |
> R3        |    |
> R4        |    |
> R5        |    |
> R6        |    |
> R7        |    |
> R8        | R0    |
> R9        | R1    |
> R10        | R2    |
> R11        | R3    |
> R12        | R12    | R5
> R13        | R13    |
> R14        | R14    |
> R15        | R15    |
>         | R6    |
>         | R8    |
>
> (Alternative Possibility means I couldn't tell which of the two is
> actually correct due to equal values. The Thread_state registers that
> have no mapping contained values that did not match any of the original
> register contents; some of those values appeared in two distinct
> Thread_state registers. I assured myself that the child didn't modify
> the registers before dumping the contents.)
> While this looks pretty strange, I verified the 'mapping' on a few
> occasions and after incorporating the mapping into the instruction
> emulator/the redundant memory writer, it does what it should, at least
> for a limited test case (which doesn't access one of the unmapped
> registers).
>
> I should mention that we use a slightly modified Fiasco.OC kernel and
> kernel interface, since in the unmodified Genode 16.08/Fiasco.OC,
> calling Cpu_thread_component::state() [1] internally calls
> Platform_thread::state(), which does not return the contents of all
> registers. Instead our modified Platform_thread::state() calls our own
> method all_regs() [2] which does that. The modified Fiasco.OC kernel
> source files are [3] and [4] with modifications marked with a comment
> mentioning "rtcr". But no remapping or other strange things are done there.
>
> My guess is that this register magic is not happening in the base-hw
> version of Genode (since Vinit instruction emulation is not using any
> remapping and still works), but maybe you still have a clue of what is
> going on there.

Sorry, but I don't have a glue what the problem is. It looks as if there
are issues with your all_regs syscall. Maybe the regs array layout is
not as you expect it to be, or the v->mr array gets modified afterwards
in the kernel? In your position, I would look into what really happens
during the syscall, which values get written to the v->mr and what is
done with them.

In contrast to FOC, the base-hw kernel was written with the sole purpose
to fullfill the requieremts of Genodes Core/Userland in the simplest
manner possible and thus, the kernel had support for returning all regs
of a thread right from the beginning.

Cheers,
Martin