Sculpt EA On VirtualBox

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Mon Mar 5 14:05:08 CET 2018

Hi,

On 04.03.2018 08:22, John J. Karcher wrote:
> Actually, while the problems at SourceForge were delaying the mailing
> list, I solved part of my problem.  Details below...
>

> On 03/01/2018 11:14 PM, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have downloaded, built, and begun testing Sculpt EA, following the
>> instructions linked to in the 18.02 release notes.  Everything went
>> well during the build process.
>>
>> Since I primarily run everything I do in VirtualBox (and don't have
>> the recommended hardware anyway), I created a VM as close to the
>> recommendations as possible.

It will work until the point where you try to start a VM in Sculpt,
which will not run because VirtualBox don't support nested virtualization.

> [drivers -> platform_drv] Error: runtimne -> nic -> nic: assignment of
> PCI device 0:11.0 failed phys=0xdc088000 virt=0x1000

This is a normal message if you have no IOMMU support, which virtualbox
doesn't provide to guests. You may just ignore (and we have to silence
the output in the future.)

> [runtimne -> nic -> nic] bus_addr = e2420000 len = 20000
> [drivers -> platform_drv] 0:11.0 uses IRQ, vector 0xb, non-maskable

> This is closer to the hardware than I usually get these days.  Is there
> anything I can try?

It sounds like the issue reported in
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/1044 - unfortunately there
has been no solution for ICH9 and network, but a quirk for PCIIX3 and
network exists. Maybe you can report there your findings, if you have
some news.

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden