Sculpt EA On VirtualBox

John J. Karcher devuser at ...544...
Fri Mar 2 05:14:48 CET 2018

Hello,

I have downloaded, built, and begun testing Sculpt EA, following the
instructions linked to in the 18.02 release notes.  Everything went well
during the build process.

Since I primarily run everything I do in VirtualBox (and don't have the
recommended hardware anyway), I created a VM as close to the
recommendations as possible.  It booted fine from a virtual CD, the
system came up using the VESA framebuffer driver, the mouse worked, and
I was able to follow the instructions until I got to the part about
storage.  Unfortunately, there are no "<device>" nodes under
"<block_devices>" in "/report/drivers/block_devices".

I have the VM set up with a "SATA" controller and a single virtual
drive.  Has anyone tried this?  Do you have any hints on how to diagnose
what is going wrong?

Also, I modified the config to use wired networking (using a virtual
Intel-based NIC), but I couldn't think of a way to easily test whether
it is working or not.  (I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but
I appreciate any hints.)

If I can get those two items working, it looks like I'll be in good shape!

  Thanks,
--
   John J. Karcher
   devuser at ...544...