Bender and GRUB1 "legacy"

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at ...73...
Thu Mar 1 02:01:19 CET 2018

On 28.02.2018 15:25, Alexander Boettcher wrote:

> On 28.02.2018 00:58, Valery V. Sedletski via genode-main wrote:
>
>> [1] https://imgur.com/a/kSptw
> The ACPI table named ATKG seems to cause also trouble on other Linux
> machines according to my search results. Maybe you can apply the latest
> BIOS update to that machine, since the root cause of the issue are wrong
> ACPI tables provided by the BIOS vendor. Another way we can try is to
> make our ACPI parser more robust and just skip the table.
>
> Try to uncomment in
>
> repos/os/src/drivers/acpi/acpi.cc
>
> after the "checksum mismatch for" message the "throw" (line ~450). Cross
> fingers, maybe you have luck and you get further.
>
> You have to re-create the drivers package by invoking:
>
> tool/depot/create genodelabs/pkg/drivers_interactive-pc
> UPDATE_VERSIONS=1 FORCE=1
>

> Additionally, you may send me directly (not to the mailing list) the
> dumped ACPI tables, so I may have a look.
Yes, I will try creating ACPI tables dump later.
>> [2] https://pastebin.mozilla.org/9078740
>> [3] https://pastebin.mozilla.org/9078741
>> [init -> drivers -> fb_drv] resource_request: ram_quota=0, cap_quota=4
>> [init -> drivers] child "fb_drv" requests resources: ram_quota=0,
> cap_quota 4
>
> Increase the "caps" value by some minor value for the fb_drv start
> element in
>
> repos/os/recipes/raw/drivers_interactive-pc/drivers.config
>
> and re-create the interactive driver package (as shown above).
Yes, I increased caps quota for fb_drv now, and commented "throw" out in
acpi.cc, this
helped! Also, I rebuilt both drivers_interactive-pc and
drivers_managed-pc. The first one
is required by noux_bash.run, and the second one is required by
sculpt.run. Now noux_bash
works like a charm on Asus machine, on both Fiasco.OC and NOVA kernels. ;-)
The BIOS seems to be updated in the service center, where this machine
was some months
ago, though, I can check this. Yes, the ACPI table seems to be broken.

On Athlon 64 machine, noux_bash now starts ok with NOVA kernel, but
still the
"No RM attachment" problem on Fiasco.OC kernel. I'll check the exact
source line later.

So, noux_bash mostly works now, but still the same problems with Sculpt,
as previously.
I updated sources to the latest level, but this didn't helped. The only
difference now is that Sculpt
does not try running in QEMU automatically, but only binaries are
created. Also, I added
the <config verbose="yes"... to "init" parameters. Now it shows service
announcements
and resource reservations. But I still don't see any failed resource
requests or any other
errors, except for the usual

[init] Error: RAM preservation exceeds available memory
[init] Warning: runtime: assigned RAM exceeds available RAM

Maybe, there are some other useful parameters for more details than
verbose="yes"
I don't know about? The log with verbose="yes" is here: [1]

Oops, I forgot about these messages:

[init] Warning: specified quota exceeds available quota, proceeding
with a quota of 3424667716
[init] Warning: runtime: assigned caps (50000) exceed available
caps (1381)

Maybe, I'll need to increase caps quota for "init" somehow. (Is it not
given all available caps in the system?).
But still, In QEMU and on Real machine with NOVA kernel this message is
missing, and it stops booting on the
same messages.

Another problem with Sculpt that fb_drv causes my FullHD monitor to go
out of sync on an attempt
to set up the 1024x768 mode, if I'll wait until when Nitpicker is
started. However, with noux_bash the
1024x768 at ...64... mode is set up correctly.
>> [init -> drivers -> usb_drv] dev_info: new low-speed USB device number
> 2 using uhci_hcd
>> no RM attachment (READ pf_addr=0x18 pf_ip=0xa15ef from pager_object:
> pd='init -> drivers -> usb_drv' thread='ep')
>
> Try adding the ohci attribute to the usb driver component, since you're
> running on a AMD machine in
> repos/os/recipes/raw/drivers_interactive-pc/drivers.config, e.g.:

> (rebuild the package as noted above.)
No, this machine has no OHCI controllers, so this is not needed. It has
1) an integrated USB chip, which has 4 UHCI and 1 EHCI controllers 2) a PCI
extension USB board, having 1 EHCI and 2 UHCI controllers. Both are based
on VIA chipset (Motherboard is Abit AV8 "Third Eye" based on K8T800Pro
chipset, and an external VIA6202 USB controller).
> If this does not help, try first with the simple run script usb_hid.run
> in repos/dde_linux. Use objdump to find out which source line the
> instruction pointer belongs to.
>
> Cheers,

Ok, will try that soon.

[1] https://pastebin.mozilla.org/9078851 Sculpt on Genode/Fiasco.OC