scupt-tc real hardware: 0/3

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Mon Jul 9 11:44:01 CEST 2018

Hello,

On 06.07.2018 05:51, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> It also booted on my AMD Ryzen 5 system but it did not detect SATA
>> drives.
>
> FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my AMD FX-based system
> mostly worked - the SATA hard drive wasn't detected, but the on-board
> (Realtek) NIC worked, as did an external USB hard drive.
>
> I haven't tried virtualization yet (because I can't wipe the external
> drive), but I will try it when I can.

as written on the Sculpt TC release website, a _recent_ Intel-based PC
is the main target. So, AMD machines may work to some degree, but it is
not expected to work well.

Regarding SATA/AHCI and AMD, in Sculpt TC the driver manager only
considers Intel AHCI chips [0], so your SATA disks can't work since no
driver is started at all.

It would be great, if AMD users out there test/debug our AHCI driver
with some simpler scenario and open up feature issues on github, so that
it be added for the next releases.

Cheers,

Alex B.

[0]
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/gems/src/app/driver_manager/main.cc#L433

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden