scupt-tc real hardware: 0/3

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Fri Jul 6 05:51:51 CEST 2018

On 07/05/2018 03:32 PM, Guido Witmond wrote:
> On 07/05/2018 07:57 PM, Paul Dufresne wrote:
>> Oh well, I am like a returning Genode user, for almost ... one and an
>> half year I guess.
>>
>> I am glad to see that there is now an image (a USB one... I would
>> guess it would not work on a DVD?).
>>
>> I have downloaded it yesterday, and tried it on 3 computers (2 almost
>> the same: Dell Optiplex 745, not sure the other is a 745 too).
>> One of the two is my own computer, and I have try many BIOS config,
>> but it does always do the same:
>> show the Logo, screen become black for about 7 secs... then it reboots
>> and loop.
>
> Hi Paul,
>

> Welcome back ;-)
>
> I noticed the same boot loop on a Dell Optiplex 380. This one is so old
> it has a serial and parallel port. The serial port showed me some boot
> lines and if I remember correctly it was something about missing video
> card before the reboot. If someone wants, I can capture that serial log
> and hardware specs.
>
> I'm not sure if the GMA 4500 video chip is supported by Genode, if you
> have an old VESA video card lying around, you might have some more luck
> on the Dell.
>
> I ran Sculpt on a 6 year old Sandy Bridge Pentium (G620) with built-in
> video chip, that runs great, after some trouble with network and usb.
> Genode likes my Intel gbit Nic better than the RTL 8111/8169. I got some
> spurios hangs on the latter.
>
> It also booted on my AMD Ryzen 5 system but it did not detect SATA
> drives. Nor did virtualisation work. Both Vbox and Seoul hang. Better
> than I expected but not usable yet.
>

> Hope this encourages you to keep going on with Genode :-)
>
> Cheers, Guido.

FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my AMD FX-based system
mostly worked - the SATA hard drive wasn't detected, but the on-board
(Realtek) NIC worked, as did an external USB hard drive.

I haven't tried virtualization yet (because I can't wipe the external
drive), but I will try it when I can.

--
   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com