Need help understanding packaging

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Wed Jul 4 23:02:09 CEST 2018

On 07/03/2018 02:55 PM, Norman Feske wrote:

> As far
> as documenting the process of creating a 'content.mk' file goes, it is
> not easy to find a useful level of detail.

I know. Writing good documents is hard. I hope my experiences help you
find a base level of detail. Perhaps Genode Labs could curate a set of
example files, rated from simple to complex and referred to in the
documentation. That would certainly have helped me.

>> Question: do you foresee that third party developers place their git
>> source in repos/<developer> like I did or in depot/<developer> and
>> bypassing that recipes/hash/content.mk part.
>
> Similar to hosting a symbolic link '<genode>/repos/feather', you may in
> principle host a symbolic link in '<genode>/depot/guido/src/feather',
> pointing to your source tree. I admittedly haven't tried this but you
> may give it a try. Note, however, that the publish step would archive
> the entire content of the directory. So it might be preferable to have a
> tool (makefile) in place to assemble the content.

Although helpful, that was not the answer I was expecting. I wanted your
vision on whether third parties should create their repositories like
genode/repos/<mystuff> complete with a recipe to transform it into a
depot/<me>/... structure or to skip the genode/repos part entirely and
use a depot/<me>/../<package> structure as base of development? The
latter would save a lot of documenting :-)

>> 4. I did a depot/build guido/bin/x86_64/feather/2018-06-30 KEEP_BUILD_DIR=1
>> That gave me this error:
>>    Makefile: 131: *** "g++ version 6.3.0 is required, we got
>>    /usr/bin/g++".
>
> This is strange. Have you successfully built one of Genode's binary
> archives, e.g., guido/bin/x86_64/report_rom? If this works, what is the
> difference between your src archive and report_rom's? By any chance, do
> you happen to have an 'etc/' or 'mk/' directory in your archive? This
> shouldn't be.

I found the source of this problem. I fat-fingered the x86_64 as x84_64.
That gave the error. When I transcribed the command line from my VM (I
could not copy-paste), I 'corrected' it in my previous mail to you.
Sorry about that confusion.

Cheers, Guido.