Time For "Community Development" ML?

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Jan 26 09:24:31 CET 2018

Hi John,

On 25.01.2018 23:36, John J. Karcher wrote:
> What do you think of setting up a new "Community Development" mailing
> list, for discussion and coordination within the development community
> that doesn't need the attention of the core developers?

as far as I am concerned, I am not really concerned. ;-)

I think that the current mailing list works quite for the following reasons:

* It provides a single point of reference for Genode-related questions
  and discussions, which avoids potential confusion of new community
  members. E.g., the forum we once offered at Sourceforge turned out
  to be a mistake. After all, the more communication channels we have,
  the more likely a topic might go unnoticed by one person or another.

* The traffic is at a manageable level, and the overall quality and tone
  of the postings is nice. I don't feel overwhelmed by it.

* Advanced technical discussion and coordination happens at the issue
  tracker anyway. So there is already a distinct communication channel
  in place for getting work done.

> We're probably already at the stage now where it would be helpful, but I
> think the "Year Of Sculpt" will generate much wider hobbyist interest
> than in the past, which could disrupt the S/N ratio of this list.
>
> (Eventually, an end-user oriented ML would probably be a good idea also,
> but that should be a year or more away.)

That is a very good point. Once we get an influx of Sculpt users, a
community-organized forum targeted specifically to the needs and
questions of end users would be a welcome contribution! Are you
interested in building up and moderating such a community place?

We may also consider a sub-reddit as a place for chitchatting, which
wouldn't perfectly suit the mailing list or a discussion forum.