Roadmap 2018

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sun Jan 21 16:34:44 CET 2018

Hi Ben,

On 20.01.2018 02:32, Nobody III wrote:
> If you don't want Qt in the base image, we should at least include Gnu
> Nano. Its UI is more intuitive for beginners, and it should be easy to port.

the use of Vim is a deliberate decision - not only on technical grounds
but also to manage expectations.

Let's face it: modifying XML in a plain text editor is - to most
computer users - an awkward way to operate a PC. Using the
"Leitzentrale" on Sculpt (EA or TC) is like an open-heart surgery where
a typo at the wrong place can freeze your desktop. For most people, this
is unacceptable. But for a few of us, it opens up a new world. To truly
appreciate it, one needs a certain level of imagination and
sophistication. Performing a surgery with a butter knife instead of a
scalpel wouldn't make it any easier. Sculpt TC is targeted for "the
curious". If one's curiosity stops when confronted with a few Vim
commands, its better to wait for Sculpt VC.

Please note that Sculpt uses the Unix command-line interface (with bash,
coreutils and vim) merely as an interim solution. It should not be
mistaken as an intrinsic part of Sculpt. In the mid term, it will stay
there as a last resort for investigating and fixing problems but remain
out of the user's view most of the time. In the longer term, it will
eventually vanish from the initial boot image.