Roadmap 2018

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Jan 12 10:32:09 CET 2018

Hi Ben,

On 11.01.2018 20:12, Nobody III wrote:
> Along with adding features to the base-hw kernel, I would suggest an
> emphasis on improving its performance. I have tried my own Sculpt-like
> scenario on that kernel, and I found that the mouse was sluggish when I
> tried dragging a window around. I had no such problem on NOVA.
>
> My particular example indicates that the base-hw kernel has performance
> issues that need to be resolved, beyond just its lack of SMP support. I
> would like to see it running much more smoothly later this year.

I suspect that the perceived sluggishness is a configuration issue, not
a kernel issue. In contrast to NOVA that implements traditional static
priorities, base-hw combines priorities with a quota regime. Unless a
CPU quota is explicitly defined for a component, the assigned priority
remains without effect. Since we use interactive scenarios like Sculpt
primarily on NOVA, the run scripts lack any CPU-quota definitions. With
no priorities, however, interactive scenarios cannot run smoothly at
all. If you disabled them on NOVA, it would look similarly poor.

However, I take your posting as another indicator that we should put
emphasis on the interactive use of base-hw during 2018.