Roadmap 2018

Emery Hemingway ehmry at ...548...
Thu Jan 11 22:16:31 CET 2018

Hello list,

I apologize for my absence from the mailing list, I didn't realize my
subscription had ended until I noticed a link to the spectre thread on
the front page of Hacker News :-)

Two goals that I set at the begining of last year have turned out well,
the Nim language works for reasonable and practical purposes and
Libreto based games compile and work with little effort. Both topics
suffer from poor integration into the build system, so to continue them
into this year I would like to perhaps investigate using the package
system to build components hosted outside Genode repositories against a
"Genode API/ABI snapshot", if that makes sense.

I expect my primary goal this year will be an IPFS compatible
content-addressed storage system that is orthogonal yet complimentary
to the new package management system introduced this year. I have for a
few years considered reimplementing some of IPFS (a mostly Go project)
for Genode, but only made it a serious goal this autumn. Over the
course of a few small projects and investigation I have decided that
the time is right. The end goal is to create a general purpose storage
system that is capable of replicating across networks, global or
private.

I've managed so far to represent IPFS data structures as native
file-systems with a constellation of native components connected to a
networked daemon running in a VM. Perforance is poor, but just good
enough for real-time decoding of FLAC files. My short term goal for
FOSDEM is demonstrate using the system to loading media like music or
text and then move on to using it as a medium for software packages.

Best wished for 2018,
Emery