nitpicker focus

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Feb 8 17:43:52 CET 2018

Hi Boris,

On 08.02.2018 16:20, Boris Mulder wrote:
> So we need to have another nit_focus like component (or an extension of
> the existing one) that bases its output on some report generated by the
> layouter.

exactly! The sole purpose of the nit_focus component is to be replaced.
:-) With less than 50 lines of code, it showcases the implementation of
the policy that was formerly built-in in nitpicker. Since I moved this
policy to this external component, we can do anything we want by
replacing it.

> The layouter should generate a report with the label of the
> current window on top of the stack, and this new component generates the
> focus report accordingly. With rom_filters this can then be integrated
> into the scenario the same way as with nit_focus. Whenever another
> window is put to the front, either by clicking or through the new
> external report, the layouter should update its own report with the top
> window. Then the nit_focus component can update its focus report in turn.

Yes.

> One option would be using the "focus" report of the layouter together
> with the window_list or window_layout report.
>
> In this case, since the wm lives above the runtime init, the report
> generated by the new nit_focus would need to have a label_prefix
> appended, e.g. the window list reports label "noux -> nit_fb -> "
> whereas nitpicker wants to see "runtime -> wm -> noux -> nit_fb -> ".
> This depends on your scenario so should be configurable.
>
> What do you think of this direction? Worth integrating into Genode?

It is exactly the direction I want to go. The externalized nit_focus
component was just a stepping stone.

Still, my remark about the nitpicker-focus handover between sessions
holds because such a mechanism is needed regardless of the layouter's /
nit_focus policy, e.g., for implementing dialogs with menus or sub-dialogs.