Experiences with Sculpt VC

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Tue Dec 18 19:17:26 CET 2018

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your quick and clear response.

On 12/18/18 12:03, Norman Feske wrote:

> For the secondary disk, the Sculpt manager needs these components only
> for the discovery, the inspection, or to perform disk operations. But if
> none those operations are performed, there is no part_blk or file-system
> component running.

I wonder why the manager did start my vm-nixos when part_blk became
available but decided to kill it when the inspector closes. It knows
there is a dependency.

> With this approach, you won't need to rely on any side effect of the
> Sculpt manager's built-in policy. Note however, that the inspection or
> management of the secondary disk is not expected to work as long as
> "manual_ahci-1.part_blk" is deployed. The AHCI-1 disk can be used by
> only one component at a time.

Bummer, I had in mind to dedicate that secondary partition to the
vm-nixos with a policy and leave the rest to Sculpt.

But first, I'll give your suggestion a try. I'll probably learn a lot again.

(Or I'll give the whole disks to the VM, that's what I want in my
desktop environment, eventually. ZFS loves whole disks.)

Cheers, Guido.