Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 18.08 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Aug 30 13:35:04 CEST 2018

I have the pleasure to announce the release of Genode 18.08, which
continues our story of sculpting Genode into a general-purpose OS. The
release specifically addresses the device-driver support of modern PC
hardware, the concern of applying microcode updates to Intel CPUs in a
timely fashion, the scalability of application workloads, and the
interactive usability of the system.

The highlights of Genode 18.08 are:

- Sculpt OS with live runtime view
- Device drivers
  - Linux device-driver environment based on kernel 4.16.3
  - Updated and enhanced Intel framebuffer and wireless drivers
  - De-componentized USB stack, support for isochronous devices
  - Improved device compatibility of NIC and PS/2 drivers
  - Experimental runtime for Zircon-based drivers
- Base framework and OS-level infrastructure
  - NIC-router support for multiple uplinks
  - New VFS plugin for using LwIP as TCP/IP stack
  - Cached file-system-based ROM service
  - VFS plugin for importing initial content
  - Enhanced Ada language support
- Libraries and applications
  - Python 3
  - VirtualBox 5.1.38
- Platforms
  - New Intel Microcode update mechanism
  - Multiprocessor support for our custom kernel on x86
  - Updated NOVA and Fiasco.OC kernels

All of these and more improvements are covered in detail by the release
documentation:

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/18.08

Have fun with exploring the new version!