block device

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at ...1...
Fri Apr 20 15:25:30 CEST 2018

Hello Pirmin,

* Duss Pirmin <pirmin at ...321...> [2018-04-20 08:55:41 +0200]:
> I have a notebook with two relatively small SSDs. To use the sculpt scenario
> on it, I would like to use the two as one in a RAID 0 configuration. Is
> there already a possibility to do this, or should I implement a block device
> merger component that can be configured to join up multiple block sessions
> in to one?

So far there is no block stripe (RAID-0) component. I have, however,
implemented a minimal block mirror (RAID-1) component [1], which could
be extended to also support stripping (being able to just provide a
nested RAID configuration, i.e., stripped mirror, and the component
would figure out the rest would be nice but I will not have the time in
the foreseeable future to implement it).

  [1] https://github.com/cnuke/genode/commit/31f1fc13e16

That being said, building a simple block stripe component from scratch
is not hard and starting with multiple components and figuring out how
to combine them afterwards (keeping them seperate or integrate them in
one component) might be better than extending one prematurely.

Regards,
--
Josef Söntgen