VirtualBox with Networking

Chris Rothrock cgrothrock at ...9...
Mon Sep 25 14:09:44 CEST 2017

Alexander,

As a second part to thatm I took the DHCP part completely out of the
equation and set a static IP on both VMs and I was unable to ping between
the two VMs thereby taking the outside network completely out of the
picture.  In this case, the ping should have gone from one VM to the NIC
bridge then back to the second VM but that didn't occur either.  I will
also try Martin's suggestion with the NIC dump but there is certainly
something not routing properly with the bridge.

Chris

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Alexander Boettcher <
alexander.boettcher at ...1...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 24.09.2017 19:16, Chris Rothrock wrote:
> > I have been able to make a working environment with
> Genode/NOVA/VirtualBox
> > a single VM running TinyCore with networking enabled and can communicate
> > across the network.  So far, only on VirtualBox 4, 5 still has issues
> that
> > I am still trying to work out that I will get into at a later time but my
> > goal is multiple VMs with networking.
> >
> > With VirtualBox 4, I have successfully made two VM environments and both
> > VMs see eth0, I can assign an IP address to each but neither VM can
> > communicate outside their own VM.  Unlike with the single VM, I was
> > unsuccessful to get an IP via DHCP (hence why I used a static IP), they
>
> just a guess:
>
> If you using the nic_bridge, make sure that the MAC addresses generated
> by and assigned by the nic_bridge to the VMs
> (repos/os/src/server/nic_bridge/README) actually are not ignored/are
> permitted by your DHCP server.
>
> In the single VM use-case (running without the nic_bridge), the MAC
> address of the network card is assigned to your VM, which is probably
> permitted/white-listed by your DHCP server in your network, I guess.
>

> > could not ping the other VM, they could not ping anything on the network
> > which they were attached.  Is there a setting in the test.vbox file
> > different than for a single VM mode that I need to make to make the
> bridge
> > work for this?

> --
> Alexander Boettcher
> Genode Labs
>
> http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org
>
> Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden

Thank You,

Chris Rothrock
Senior System Administrator
(315) 308-1637