Wifi_drv: wpa_supplicant functionality

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at ...1...
Mon Oct 30 11:16:55 CET 2017

Hello Boris,

* Boris Mulder <boris.mulder at ...434...> [2017-10-30 09:57:11 +0100]:
> On genode, this file is generated by the genode code inside wifi_drv
> containing only one entry depending on the "selected_accesspoint" config
> node.

Truth be told we did not test if it works to add multiple networks and
to let wpa_supplicant choose the best one. In theory it should work as
intended; we did not remove any mechanisms providing this functionality.

> So if I may ask, is it possible to write the file yourself and use all
> features of wpa_supplicant on genode, or has it been stripped of all (or
> parts of) the functionality and should I use selected_accesspoint instead?

No, the existence of this file (wpa_supplicant.conf) is merely an
implementation detail and should be of no concern to the user (and it
is regrettable that the user has to deal with it at all). Using the
'wlan_configuration' config is the canonical way to configure the
wifi_drv component.

That being said, the decision to use the conf file under the hood to
configure the supplicant was made because when doing the initial port
it was the least time consuming way to get it up and running. Ideally,
it would be better to enable the control interface but for the time
being, the conf file approach seems to be good enough.

Regards,
Josef

--
Josef Söntgen