Compiling Kernel Modules for Genode on iMX53 with TrustZone

Wed Oct 25 15:04:54 CEST 2017

Hi Mauricio,

On 10/25/2017 12:39 AM, Mauricio Gutierrez Barnett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about adding kernel modules to the Genode OS.
>
> So I have built and boot the tz_vmm scenario for platform
> hw_imx53_qsb_tz on the i.MX53 development board using another thread on
> this mailing list as a guide. I was able to get it up and running on the
> board with no problems.
> However, I need to install a kernel module into the normal world linux.
> In order to do this I need to be able to cross compile the module for
> the target kernel running in normal world from my desktop.
> However, while I have access to the target compiler I do not have a
> target kernel directory.
> That is, only the final image of linux is provided, not the source code
> used to compile it.

it is available. I referred to it several times on this mailing list.
The Linux kernel used within the tz_vmm.run test script was built using
the following Linux kernel branch, which is slightly modified to not
crash within the normal world based on the official sources provided by
Freescale:

  https://github.com/skalk/linux/tree/imx53-tz

> I know the version is provided as Linux version 2.6.35.3-01270-g9533414.
> However, if I try to use the 2.6.35.3-generic version as a target I get
> a symbol version error when I try to insmod:
>
> "disagrees about version of symbol kmalloc_caches
> Unknown symbol kmalloc_caches (err -22)"
>
> I believe this is because the kernel running in the normal world has
> been modified.

The Freescale sources and vanilla Linux sources are quite different from
each other. I assume it clashes therefore.

Regards
Stefan