Virtual machines from .vdi images

Chris Rothrock cgrothrock at ...9...
Fri Nov 3 19:31:41 CET 2017

I tried this same build on an Intel-based computer (an HP Z240 with an
Intel SATA controller) but this one gets even less progress.  The driver
reports that there are no AHCI controllers present.  From what I can tell,
this is probably because the controller is set to IDE mode not AHCI mode
but there aren't any options within the BIOS to even change this setting so
I am up against a wall to get this to work on any platform I have tried.
Here is the snippet of logs from this machine:

Genode 17.08-112-gee4ee6a <local changes>
7884 MiB RAM and 63254 caps assigned to init
[init -> ahci_drv] --- Starting AHCI driver ---
[init] child "timer" announces service "Timer"
[init] child "report_rom" announces service "Report"
[init] child "report_rom" announces service "ROM"
[init] child "log_terminal" announces service "Terminal"
[init -> nic_drv] --- iPXE NIC driver started ---
[init -> nic_drv] -- init iPXE NIC
[init] child "acpi_report_rom" announces service "Report"
[init] child "acpi_report_rom" announces service "ROM"
[init -> acpi_drv] Found MADT
[init -> acpi_drv] MADT IRQ 0 -> GSI 2 flags: 0
[init -> acpi_drv] MADT IRQ 9 -> GSI 9 flags: 13
[init -> acpi_drv] Found MCFG
[init -> acpi_drv] MCFG BASE 0xe0000000 seg 0x0 bus 0x0-0xff
[init -> acpi_drv] Found DMAR
[init -> acpi_drv] 39 bit DMA physical addressable , IRQ remapping supported
[init -> acpi_drv] DMA remapping structure type=0
[init -> acpi_drv] DMA remapping structure type=0
[init -> acpi_drv] DMA remapping structure type=1
[init -> acpi_drv] DMA remapping structure type=1
[init] child "platform_drv" announces service "Platform"
*[init -> ahci_drv] Error: __cxa_guard_abort called*
*[init -> ahci_drv] Error: __cxa_guard_abort called*
*[init -> ahci_drv] Error: no AHCI controller found*
[init] child "ahci_drv" exited with exit value -1
Warning: PD (init -> usb_drv) RAM limit (used=4884K, limit=6005765)
exceeded during transfer_quota(2M)
[init] Warning: usb_drv: RAM upgrade of Platform failed
[init -> ps2_drv] Using keyboard with scan code set 1 (xlate)
[init -> usb_drv] resource_request: ram_quota=2M, cap_quota=0
[init] child "usb_drv" requests resources: ram_quota=2M, cap_quota=0
[init -> nic_drv] Found: 00:1f.6 8086:15b7 (rev 31) IRQ 0b
[init -> nic_drv] no driver found