Restoring child with checkpointed state

Thu Nov 2 14:03:50 CET 2017

Hi David

On 11/02/2017 10:35 AM, David Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let me rephrase my question. Is "Thread::myself()->native_thread().kcap"
> returning the kcap of another capability than
> "Thread::myself->cap().data()->kcap()" ? As far as i understand yes. The
> former returns the kcap of the gate capability while the latter returns
> the capability of the thread object capability.
>
> If that is true, is there a possibility to access the gate capability
> from withtin the "Signal_source_rpc_object"
> [/repos/base-foc/src/include/signal_source/rpc_object.h] ?

sorry for my late response!

In fact, Thread::myself->cap() delivers the capability to the thread
object representation in core, not to mix up with the kernel-capability
that refers the actual thread! Therefore, I advised to send this
capability to core, and retrieve the "real" thread's capability out of
the Cpu session's object that belongs to the thread. You can use the
core's entrypoint, which is the same for Signal, Irq, Cpu, etc. to
retrieve the right Cpu_thread_component from the capability delivered by
the signal source client. Similar to this snippet:

  entrypoint.apply(delivered_thread_cap, [&] (Cpu_thread_component *t) {
    if (t) ... // attach t->platform_thread().thread().local
  };

You can store the entrypoint within the Genode::Signal_source_rpc_object
by extending its constructor. Cpu_thread_component contains the
Platform_thread object of the thread including its "real" kernel capability.

A shortcut might be to propagate the gate capability to core instead,
simply by using native_thread(), which you already mentioned. In that
case, you can simply attach the received capability to the irq object.
But this is just a proof-of-concept implementation and inherently
insecure, as it opens up the possibility to attach signal sources to
arbitrary threads including threads of other protection domains.

Regards
Stefan