run/noux_bash

Prashanth Mundkur pmundkur.l4 at ...9...
Thu Mar 30 00:45:15 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to run noux_bash on Linux on today's master genode branch,
and running into some issues.

When I make run/noux_bash, I can see a x-window pop-up with the bash
root prompt, and can extract using echo the following responses from
bash:

bash-4.1# echo $PATH
/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.

bash-4.1# echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

bash-4.1# echo $TERM
linux

However, any non-shell command causes a dead unresponsive shell, with

  "Kernel: ipc_cap_data nullptr"

output on the screen running the run script:

[init] child "fb_sdl" announces service "Framebuffer"
[init] child "fb_sdl" announces service "Input"
[init] child "terminal" announces service "Terminal"
[init -> terminal] create terminal session
[init -> terminal] new terminal session:
[init -> terminal]   framebuffer has mode 1024x768 at ...487...
[init -> terminal]   character size is 6x14 pixels
[init -> terminal]   terminal size is 170x54 characters
[init -> noux] Warning: stdin VFS path not defined, connecting to terminal session
[init -> noux] Warning: stdout VFS path not defined, connecting to terminal session
[init -> noux] Warning: stderr VFS path not defined, connecting to terminal session
[init -> noux] --- noux started ---
Kernel: ipc_cap_data nullptr

The terminal doesn't recognize the '/' of my keyboard, and so I cannot
try giving full paths to the various executables like /bin/env.  Is
this an issue with my local setup, or running a non-released genode
version, or a bug?

The broader question I had is: what would be needed to run bash from
within a non-graphical terminal, as in via an ssh server.  I have a
very basic and incomplete sshd server running in genode linux [1], and
need to fulfill, on the server end, the pty_request and shell_request
sent by the ssh client.

I notice that the bash port is built using:

repos/ports/src/noux-pkg/bash/target.mk:
# Prevent interactions with nonexisting tty driver
CFLAGS += -DNO_TTY_DRIVER

and a repos/ports/src/noux-pkg/bash/check_dev_tty.patch
which removes a bash call to check_dev_tty().

Would this affect the above goal?

Thanks,

--prashanth

[1] https://github.com/pmundkur/genode/commits/ssh_terminal