AMT SOL on Lenovo X250

Martijn Verschoor verschoor at ...434...
Tue Mar 14 16:31:12 CET 2017

Dear subscribers of the Genode mailinglist,

After some help by Christian Prochaska I managed to setup AMT SOL on Lenovo X250. I thought I’d share my experience because there are some pitfalls of which I was unaware.

On older systems like the Lenovo X201, you had to enable Legacy Redirection Mode for SOL to work. Unfortunately for the X250  this option is no longer available in the AMT <Ctrl-P> boot menu. Instead you can use wsman to set the ‘ListenerEnabled’ flag of the AMT_RedirectionService to true, and SOL will be available.

Please note that you cannot run wsman on the machine that you're trying to configure. wsman connects to the amt interface of the target machine and the amt interface is not accessible from the machine itself.

So, on another machine, make sure you have installed wsman:

    $ sudo apt-get install wsmancli

Then inspect the ListenerEnabled flag with wsman:

    $ wsman get http://intel.com/wbem/wscim/1/amt-schema/1/AMT_RedirectionService -h <TARGET_MACHINE_IP_ADDR> -P 16992 -u admin -p ‘<YOUR_AMT_PASSWORD>'

If set to false, set it to true using:

    $ wsman put http://intel.com/wbem/wscim/1/amt-schema/1/AMT_RedirectionService -h <TARGET_MACHINE_IP_ADDR> -P 16992 -u admin -p ‘<YOUR_AMT_PASSWORD>' -k ListenerEnabled=true

For debugging you can increase the verbosity with the -d flag, e.g. -d 6.

Also note that the uri is not a url for a file on the Intel site ;-)

Thanks to Christian!

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Martijn Verschoor

Cyber Security Labs B.V. | Gooimeer 6-31 | 1411 DD Naarden | The Netherlands
+31 35 631 3253 (office) |  +31 616 014 087 (mobile)