Using Genode 17.05 with Fiasco.OC

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Jul 26 09:24:24 CEST 2017

Hi Jörg,

unfortunately, I am unable to diagnose the vserver issue.

> Ok. May I ask the recommended kernel for the following embedded board
> Rpi/pandaboard/wand quad ? It looks like there is only Fiasco.OC,
> because Fiasco.OC has ARM support, or?

these boards are supported also by the so-called "base-hw" kernel, which
is a custom kernel that is especially designed for Genode. It is
described in detail in Section 7.7 of the "Genode Foundations" book [1].

[1] http://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-17-05.pdf

There is also work in progress (planned for the upcoming release 17.08)
to use the seL4 kernel on a wider variety of platforms including x86_64
and ARM.
> This means, master is always stable ? I was expected that the tagged
> version is a stable release version.

The master branch is considered stable. It is updated from the staging
branch not before staging passes our regular QA including a large suite
of automated tests. A release is a snapshot of the master branch
accompanied with documentation [2] that describes the rationale of the
development during the release cycle. To learn more about the flow of
development, please refer to Section 5.5 of the book mentioned above.

[2] http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/index