Blocking wait for interrupt

Johannes Kliemann Johannes.Kliemann at ...250...
Tue Jul 25 08:54:30 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm currently writing a dde_linux driver that requires to wait for an
interrupt to be handled.
It basically initializes the hardware and then waits for an event to
occur. This event is usually triggered by the interrupt (respectively
its handler) which occurs after hardware initialization.
My problem is that this interrupt doesn't appear while the function
triggering it didn't return. So when this function blocks to wait for
the interrupt, a deadlock is created. Besides using the timer I tried to
block the execution with a semaphore creating the same problem.
Creating an async version is no option due to the architecture of the
Linux driver.

How are interrupts handled in this case? What causes them to block and
how can I work around this?

Regards,

JK