Genode OS Framework version 17.08 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Aug 30 13:05:10 CEST 2017

I am happy to announce the version 17.08 of the Genode OS Framework.
After the huge infrastructural changes of the previous two releases, we
took the current release cycle as an opportunity to let things settle
down and concentrate on Genode Labs' internal continuous-integration
infrastructure. This resulted in countless gradual refinements such as
improved timing accuracy or the increased POSIX compliance of our libc.

That said, the highlight of the new version is something completely
different: The result of our thorough investigation of
hardware-accelerated graphics on modern Intel platforms over the course
of the past year. With our new GPU multiplexer developed from scratch,
Genode becomes able to leverage GPU resources at only a marginal
increase of the system's trusted computing base. Another compelling
feature of the new version is the upgraded seL4 support that covers ARM
and 64-bit x86. A summary of changes:

- Hardware-accelerated graphics for Intel Gen-8 GPUs
- The seL4 6.0 kernel on ARM and 64-bit x86 hardware
- Genode as Xen DomU
- Preliminary UEFI support for NOVA, base-hw, and seL4
- New server for capturing reports to files
- New runtime for the sequential execution of components
- Support for boot-time initialized frame buffer
- FatFS-based VFS plugin
- Extended non-blocking operation of the VFS
- Refined time handling
- Updated Muen separation kernel

The long version in the form of the official release documentation:

  http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/17.08

Have fun with exploring the new version!