base-hw Bootstrap implementation: 16.05 version vs. 17.02 version

Vasan VS vasan.vs at ...9...
Tue Apr 18 12:42:36 CEST 2017

Hi all,

We are trying to build and run Genode on a custom board with iMX6
processor. As part of this process, we are trying to understand the
implementation of base-hw in the 17.02 version release.

In trying to understand the implementation of base-hw in the 16.05
implementation and in the current 17.02 version, we find that the bootstrap
portion of the implementation is present in 17.02 source base @
base-hw/src/bootstrap which is NOT present in 16.05 code base.

We had a look at the detailed release notes of all the intermediate
releases between these two versions (16.05->16.08, 16.08->16.11,
16.11->17.02) but we could not find any documentation of the changes that
has been done on this particular portion of base-hw between these two
releases.

If we use the 16.05 version on our board, we get the "Kernel initialized"
message after init is started but on the 17.02 version, the board is
hanging and refusing to boot up after "Starting kernel" message(from
uboot).

Can someone help us with the following:
a) Provide the details of the changes that has been done between the two
versions in the bootstrap portion
b) Point us to any clues on why we are facing this hang problem after the
log service is initialized and while enabling the MMU and caches.

Thanks in advance,

Vasan