Now: Understanding Muen and base_hw kernel from docs, [Earlier] Re: Problem with make run/demo ....

Shahbaz khan shazalive at ...9...
Fri Apr 14 21:13:24 CEST 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Nobody III <hungryninja101 at ...9...>
wrote:

> I've been wondering, is there any reason not to use base-hw_x86_64_muen on
> regular hardware? It seems to work fine in Qemu, and

Release notes mention Thinkpad X201.Muen website makes me cautious but if
Qemu works then we are good for a start. Have your tried virtualbox?

So bochs is not mandatory.

> almost all Genode drivers are in userspace. Is there some limitation that
> I'm not aware of?

Well anything is easily possible with micro-kernel architecture in concept
but I was curious whether we run base_hw kernel that is muen according to
mainline repo's files.
The diagram from release notes depict base_hw kernel on Muen SK. It still
does not make sense to me. I will have to look later as I am working on
some basic presentation on Muen and genode for some prospects.

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Shahbaz khan <shazalive at ...9...> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Christian Helmuth <
>> christian.helmuth at ...1...> wrote:

>>> been
>>>
>>> I would not go along with telling that we "prefer" base-foc as most of
>>> our scenarios run on all supported kernels. Prominent exceptions are
>>> support for hardware virtualization (only on NOVA and hw/Muen) and
>>> TrustZone (hw only). If you address ARM and x86 alike I'd suggest you
>>> try out base-hw.
>>>

>> I got a bit acquainted with the release notes but I still find it
>> difficult to comprehend what really base-hw means when we say "Genode base
>> -hw" on Muen SK.
>>
>> I am having some build issues (I do get an image.elf but build does not
>> complete) and have yet not looked into earlier commits and branches so I
>> would appreciate if you can let me know what actually runs over Muen SK in
>> Genode base-hw kernel VM. Does it mean we run another kernel like nova
>> between Muen and virtualbox.
>>
>> I really like the idea but if we have another kernel below virtualbox
>> than why not run virtualbox on Muen as a subject? I am unable to criticize
>> clearly due to the mentioned confusion.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shahbaz