VirtualBox on Genode

Chris Rothrock cgrothrock at ...9...
Fri Sep 9 17:38:54 CEST 2016

I am working with Yevgeny on this part of the project and I am having the
same issue.  I know that running it through the QEMU emulator probably
won't work so I used the virtualbox.iso image and put it onto my bootable
USB stick.  This is the same stick that I have the Genode demo with a Nova
kernel running perfectly fine on, I have booted multiple machines with this
demo image, however the virtualbox ISO image boots, but does not load the
tinycore image properly - it hangs on booting to the VirtualBox machine in
the Genode environment.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 6:02 AM, Alexander Boettcher <
alexander.boettcher at ...1...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 05.09.2016 10:05, Yevgeny Lavrov wrote:
> > while testing it via Qemu, I ran into the following issue: once Tinycore
> > Linux reaches "Booting the kernel" phase, it hangs, and the following msg
> > [init -> virtualbox] Using SVM virtualization extension.
> > [init -> virtualbox] fb resize : 2560x1600 at ...64... -> 720x400 at ...361...
> > [init -> virtualbox] fb resize : 720x400 at ...64... -> 640x480 at ...362...
> > [init -> virtualbox] fb resize : 640x480 at ...64... -> 720x400 at ...361...
> > [ 0] Killed EC:0xffffffff83282b80 SC:0xffffffff83219740 V:0x7f
> > CR0:0x80050033 CR3:0x760000 CR4:0x0 (PT not found)
>
> running Virtualbox inside Qemu is not supposed to work well.
> Additionally the SVM (AMD virtualization extension) emulated by Qemu is
> not tested nor maintained by us. So you should run it on native Intel
> hardware.
>
> Additionally, if your Linux distro with Genode is running as a VM this
> also causes reliable trouble (e.g. Genode VM -> qemu ->
> VirtualBox/Genode - Tinycore Linux)
>
> > I've also attempted to create bootable USB from virtualbox.iso via dd.
> > While on boot, I got the following msg
> >
> > HDD EBIOS
> > isolinux.bin missing or corrupt
>
> Just guessing:
> - either the image got not correctly to the USB stick
> - your BIOS/UEFI does not like your USB stick or has trouble in the USB
> boot emulation
>
> Try another USB stick or on another native machine or sometimes
> switching the USB ports (on a USB 2 port instead of USB 3) may help.
>
> Alex.

Thank You,

Chris Rothrock
Senior System Administrator