Linking genode processes at different address space

Martin Stein martin.stein at ...1...
Mon Oct 17 10:57:05 CEST 2016

Hello Parfait,

Am 15.10.2016 um 14:34 schrieb Parfait Tokponnon:
> Dear Genode community,
> I would like to know if there is a way to link Genode process (or
> components) at different address spaces especially when building
> Heeselicht scenario.
> When playing with the kernel (Nova), I encounter some weird values from
> a userland process, but which component exactly it is, i don't really
> know since almost all of them are linked to the same virtual adress.
> According to me, one way to deal with it would be to name each PD
> (protection domain) in the kernel according to the Genode component they
> belong to, but I think this would be a bit tedious.
> So what I am projecting to do is to guess the component name from the
> adress space they are executing in  (if they have different address
> space, right?).
> Any other idea is welcome.

Yes, the components are all in different virtual address spaces.
Anyway, I assume that changing the linking in such a way to get a
components name would be like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I
wonder what exactly you mean with weird values (IP, stack pointer,
pagefaults, ...?) and at where you are when observing them (Core,
Kernel, debugger, ...?). I ask because, for example, the
Region-Management code in Core actually knows which Address Space is
used by which component. If your component causes a pagefault, Core not
only prints the name of the component but also name and IP of the thread
that caused it.

Cheers,
Martin