Android no NW - i.MX53 QSB

Tiago Brito tiago.de.oliveira.brito at ...368...
Mon May 9 11:40:00 CEST 2016

Hi, I'm trying to boot Android in the Normal World of an i.MX53 QSB using
U-boot in the Secure World as the bootloader.

I've adapted U-boot in order to switch to Normal World upon a SMC call.
The Android version I'm using is Adeneo BSP for Android Gingerbread v4.3.

Android boots fine when I disable the world switch in U-boot, but when I
try to boot it in the Normal World it freezes in a Kernel Panic before
running the Init.

I followed the patch made by Stefan Kalkowski (as suggested in
https://community.freescale.com/thread/308152 ) because I was experiencing
a similar problem (FAILED TO RELEASE IRAM PARTITION). Unlike Miao Yu in
that post my execution didn't stop there.
I thought this would be enough to run Android in the Secure World (because
this is what Stefan did) but apparently it didn't work.
The problem remains the same.

What happens is the kernel boots successfully and then the following flow
occurs:
(1) init_post() at kernel/init/main.c:826
(2) run_init_process() at kernel/init/main.c:817
(3) kernel_execve() at kernel/arch/arm/kernel/sys_arm.c:81
Inside kernel_execve() when we return to user space by manipulating the
kernel stack (asm code below) it lauches a Kernel Panic and init is never
executed.

ASM CODE:
asm(
"b ret_to_user"
:
: "r" (current_thread_info()),
 "Ir" (THREAD_START_SP - sizeof(regs)),
 "r" (&regs),
 "Ir" (sizeof(regs))
: "r0", "r1", "r2", "r3", "ip", "lr", "memory");

In addition we noticed that the execution jumps to do_undefinstr at
kernel/arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S:689
b do_undefinstr

Besides this we confirmed that init is never executed by adding a print to
init's main function (src/system/core/init/init.c:713).

Thanks, Tiago Brito