Does Genode support for 64-bit ARM processor?
norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Mar 10 14:08:57 CET 2016
On 04.03.2016 20:21, Peter Lindener wrote:
> Genode on ARMv8_64 sound like it will be a good thing, when it ends up
> ... [Would Rump kernels help here?] ...
porting Genode to a new CPU architecture requires work on the following
areas, which are unrelated to our use of Rump kernels:
- Tool-chain support (enabling the new architecture in Genode's GCC-
based tool chain)
- Architecture-specific assembly startup code
- Port of the base-hw kernel (or enabling another kernel's support for
for the architecure), which implies among other things the platform
bootstrapping, MMU driver, page-table definitions, cache and TLB
handling, timer driver, IRQ controller driver, system-call bindings,
and the code paths for entering and exiting the kernel mode.
- Extending the dynamic linker with the support for the architecture-
specific parts of the ELF binary (e.g., architecture-specific
relocations, constructors and destructors)
- Extending our (FreeBSD-based) C runtime with architecture-specific
This is just a very high-level view. To get a more concrete idea about
the construction sites, it is instructive to look at the
architecture-specific code of an already supported architecture, e.g.,
find base base-hw os libports | grep x86_64
Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske
http://www.genode-labs.com · http://genode.org
Genode Labs GmbH · Amtsgericht Dresden · HRB 28424 · Sitz Dresden
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske, Christian Helmuth
More information about the users