Rust in genode

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sun Jun 12 15:25:14 CEST 2016

Hi Madhu,

nice to see a lifesign of you! :-)

On 11.06.2016 05:02, Madhu Macaque Labs wrote:
> I am glad to see Rust support being added to genode. How far is this
> support expected to proceed ? Is a complete Rust based genode being
> contemplated ? Norman and I had a brief discussion on this a while ago.
> After that we have started developing a simple rust based microkernel to
> figure out Rust's suitability as an OS implementation language. I know
> it can be done but nothing  like working code to validate all
> assumptions ! Going forward we would prefer converting  genode to rust
> rather than doing our own Mk. Converting some components to rust as
> shown in. 16.05 is the right way to go but was just wondering about the
> end goal.

The addition of Rust support should not be mistaken as a strategic move.
It was suggested and contributed by Waylon Cude, not by Genode Labs.

It goes without saying that I welcome ways to eliminate classes of bugs
(i.e., memory-safety issues) by design. On the other hand, I dislike
throwing out the baby with the bath water and dismissing C++ altogether.
The new Genode API (introduced in Genode 16.05) and the programming
style that comes with it shows pretty well how C++ can be leveraged to
attain robust components.

In the long term, I wish to guarantee the absence of bugs in the
security/safety-critical parts of Genode but I cannot predict the means
to get there yet (Formal verification? Use of higher-level languages?).
The added Rust support gives us the chance to wet our toes with one
possible direction.