[L4 Android - i.MX53 QSB]

Fri Jun 10 11:25:34 CEST 2016

Hi João,

On 06/09/2016 03:25 PM, João Rocheteau Ramos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to run the L4 Android version (normal world), alongside Genode (secure world) in the i.MX53 QSB board.
>
> I was trying to do something similar to the tz_vmm demo, but following the instructions given in [1], but so far have not succeeded.
>
> Is there a way to run this custom version of Android in the i.MX53 QSB?

I'm afraid you mixed up different contexts. The L4Android project is a
derived version of L4Linux - the para-virtualized version of the Linux
kernel that is designed to run on top of Fiasco.OC/L4Re. It is not
related to TrustZone mechanisms in general, and won't start within the
normal world without the Fiasco.OC kernel underneath it.

In contrast to this, we slightly modified the original Linux Kernel
provided by Freescale, which is the base of Adeano's supplied Android
version for the i.MX53 series. In contrast to L4Linux the patch series
is minimal. It just prevents the normal world Linux from touching
certain things that won't work outside the secure, privileged mode.
Therefore, we used the Freescale version of the Linux Kernel, and kept
ABI compatibility to be able to run the unmodified Android images
supplied together with the board (in that case, the i.MX53 SABRE tablet).

So in general you should be able to use our modified Linux Kernel [2]
and unmodified Android binaries of Adeano. But in fact, over time they
delivered / provided on their website slightly different versions. In
the past I also encountered problems when trying to setup our scenario
on another tablet with its pre-installed Android. At that time the only
way out was to somehow rescue the Android image from one tablet, and
install it on another. But that was a pretty cumbersome and
time-consuming way to go.

One way you can go, is to build Android for your platform, and after you
could run it successful, apply our patch series to that kernel version,
and recompile it again. That should do the trick.

Regards
Stefan