TRACE confusion

Johannes Schlatow schlatow at ...238...
Wed Jul 20 16:49:12 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused by the trace_session and its implementation:

The documentation suggests that the trace buffer is assigned to a thread. On the other hand, the trace subject is associated with a session label. What I conclude from this is that a thread be identified by multiple trace subjects but can only be assigned a single trace policy and trace buffer, which makes the interface quite confusing.

I also had a glance at the implementation and noticed that the Trace::Subject has its own buffer, which is forwarded to the Trace::Source. If I understand this correctly, the Trace::Source is coupled to a thread. I therefore assume that I can only trace one trace subject (associated with the same thread) at a time. Is this correct?

Cheers
 Johannes