[Beginner] Running L4Linux as a Server above Fiasco.OC

Tue Jan 5 09:10:58 CET 2016

Hi Nourhan,

On 01/04/2016 01:33 PM, Nourhan Mohamed wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was trying to run l4linux as a server above Fiasco.OC using the
> Features>Make Linux as Server from the l4linux menuconfig in foc_pbxa9
> build folder. However, the compilation terminates with error because it
> can't see some header file. Any ideas what might have gone wrong

We never tried to build L4linux "as server". It is much likely that it
will not compile, because we re-implement parts of the L4Re API to
enable L4Linux on top of Genode. Of course, we do not re-implement the
whole L4Re API, but only those parts that were needed by L4Linux using
the current configuration. Therefore, if you select L4-specific parts of
L4Linux that were never used before, it is likely that it does not
compile anymore.

>From my understanding the "L4Linux as a server" option is especially
needed to run L4Linux as a device driver container, is that right? We do
not support direct device access of l4linux either. This is no
attractive approach for us, as it only enables device drivers on top of
Fiasco.OC, but not on other kernels.
Or maybe you have other reasons for enabling this option?

I'm afraid you'll have to lend a hand if you really need to enable that
option. You will have to create the headers that are missing and putting
function dummies into them the compiler is complaining about. Lastly
you've to look which function dummies are called that you have to fill
with lives.

Feel free to ask for help on this list during that work, but you will
have to provide a bit more information next time, at least a log output
including the error that you've seen. Otherwise, it is all about unravel
mysteries.

Regards
Stefan