SandStorm.io on Genode ?

Kenton Varda kenton at ...403...
Fri Feb 26 05:51:00 CET 2016

Hi all,

>From a brief look at Genode, it seems it and Sandstorm have a lot in common
at an abstract level. We're both building capability systems, and we're
both aiming to solve security an the platform level so that apps don't have
to think about it.

Practically speaking, though, Sandstorm applications currently expect a
Linux ABI (including most common syscalls), which probably means that
making Sandstorm run directly on top of Genode would be a complicated
project. I would love to see Sandstorm running on a better kernel than
Linux someday, but it's going to be tricky.

In the shorter term, the way to achieve interoperability between the
systems would be to define some sort of a bridge between Cap'n Proto and
Genode's RPC -- or maybe adopt Cap'n Proto as the RPC system in Genode, if
that is still possible. If we can all agree on a capability transport
protocol then it becomes a lot easier to gradually move software into purer
systems. (Note that Cap'n Proto is based on CapTP with direct input from
Mark Miller. But, compared to CapTP, Cap'n Proto is much more efficient to
encode/decode.)

-Kenton