Roadmap 2017

Jookia 166291 at ...9...
Fri Dec 23 10:23:20 CET 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 09:17:09AM +0100, Norman Feske wrote:
> The key to achieve that is to get noux up to speed, and to revisit some
> of its inner workings. I have some ideas in this respect that I'd like
> to try out. But before it is worthwhile to start with that, we should
> address a few limitations of its underpinnings, in particular the VFS.
>
> Another day-to-day scenario that is much easier to realize - compared to
> the full development worklow - would be a multi-component email
> application where multiple noux instances are used for dedicated tasks
> like fetching email, browsing local folders, composing an email, or
> sending email. Each noux instance could be tailored to its purpose.
> E.g., the one for browsing the local folders wouldn't have network
> access. So emails stored locally cannot leak to the network. This
> scenario is less demanding than the development scenario and would
> possibly reach more users. So we might better first go for this one?
>
> Cheers
> Norman

Interesting you'd mention this!

I have developed a GNU Bash-based application that does something like this on
my system in conjunction with mutt, mbsync and msmtp. There's no reason it
couldn't be ported to run in different Noux instances, or other
clients/fetchers/senders as long as they're okay with handling Maildir systems.

It'd be interesting to get some use out of it since it's reached the peak point
of '90% done' with most of the current system finished (including
documentation), but without a non-programmer tutorial or support for more use
cases than just mine. If you're interested I'll throw some code up on GitLab or
GitHub with it.

Jookia.