Genode on Odroid-XU4

Thu Dec 1 10:42:54 CET 2016

Hello Yevgeny Lavrov,

there is basic support for the Odroid XU regarding Genode's own kernel
(base-hw). I assume you will be able to start various scenarios that
only use CPU, Timers and UART on the Odroid XU4 as well, because they
use the same SoC.

I would start with connecting a UART cable via the GPIO ports to your
home computer, and test whether you can interact with a Linux system
running on top of your test board. After that, you might play with
u-boot until you can successfully boot over network, e.g., a Linux
kernel. Possibly, you cannot even network boot on Odroid XU4, but have
to use fastboot (via USB) instead.

Finally, you start your Genode development by creating a 'hw_odroid_xu'
build directory, add some RUN_OPT variables to the 'etc/build.conf' to
automatically load the setup and interact with the test board,
corresponding to the method you are using (either network boot or
fastboot). Here is some example for the Odroid variant we are testing
nightly:

  RUN_OPT += --include image/uboot
  RUN_OPT += --include load/fastboot
  RUN_OPT += --load-fastboot-device 'usb:2-1.8'
  RUN_OPT += --include log/serial

Then you can start some very basic example, like:

  make run/log

and wait, whether you get some output, and if the test succeeds.

For a general introduction to the build environment and run-script
automatisms, have a look at the Genode foundations:

     https://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-16-05.pdf

In general, it is a good idea to first skim through this document.

Best regards,
Stefan