Genode 15.08 NOVA Demo Blank Screen

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Sep 11 10:35:01 CEST 2015

Hello Thotheolh,

On 11.09.2015 08:36, Thotheolh Tay wrote:
>         make run/virtualbox
> What else am I still lacking ?

assuming that you are in the early process of exploring Genode but
haven't build up the experience with integrating modest scenarios, I
think that the virtualbox scenario will become a source of frustration
for you. In any case, let me share just a few precautions about the
virtualbox scenario:

* The virtualbox run script won't work with Qemu. According to your
  of some other OS. This already caused trouble with running Qemu
  within this environment. Running another nested virtual machine
  monitor within Qemu is not expected to work. I.e., Qemu's
  virtualization support is lacking.

  Consequently, the virtualbox scenario should be executed on real
  hardware only. When testing on real hardware, however, you will
  need a way to obtain the serial output for troubleshooting. The
  mailing list archive contains several recent discussions of this
  topic, but it is still a hurdle to take.

* We regularly run VirtualBox solely on the nova_x86_64 kernel. On
  all other base platforms - even nova_x86_32 - problems are must
  be expected.

* The virtualbox.run script expects a 'test.iso' image in the bin
  directory. But not all guest OSes will work out of the box. When
  picking an ISO image, you need to consider that the image will
  be loaded by the boot loader into memory. So loading a big ISO
  of a fully-fledged Linux OS will not only take ages to load but
  also consumes a lot of memory. It might be the best to use the
  ISO image of a small Genode scenario (like the one produced by
  demo.run) to start with.

That said, for exploring Genode, I'd recommend you to review the less
sophisticated scenarios at 'repos/os/run' and 'repos/libports/run'
before turning to the complex ones located at 'repos/ports/run'.