Genode/NOVA+Multiple VMMs Seoul / VBox

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Sat Sep 5 22:25:44 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 04.09.2015 15:51, Roger Ferreira wrote:
> I am not able to capture any log.

I fear without any log it will become hard to impossible to get it running.

> I am using a normal x86 desktop computer.

You should, for example, obtain a PCI serial card and attach it - if
your machine hasn't already a serial connector on-board or something
like Intel AMT SOL (SerialOverLAN).

> Regarding the seoul multiboot scheme, I saw it does not allow a ISO, correct?

Yes.

> It seems to expect a bootloader (munich), them the bzImage, an some aditional g
> Actually I have prepared a custom remasterized version of TinyCore with some specific libs / apps.
> It works alone.
> But when I tried to port to seoul, sitill using munich, I donĀ“t have a bzImage.
> I have a vmlinuz, core.gz and my own stuff as TCZ extensions.
> The vmlinuz I customize some files.

For Seoul you have two ways to boot things - either boot a multiboot
compliant kernel, which Linux is not, or boot a VM from a raw disk image.

Munich (as a multiboot kernel) is a small helper to bootstrap a Linux
kernel. Munich expects as first multiboot image the Linux kernel and the
second multiboot image has to be the initial ram disk. (see
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~kauer/oslo/README for pointers to munich)

For the Seoul/Tinycore demo we had to manually squash the core.gz and
all the Firefox browser related files into a initial ram disk
(tc-browser.gz). I fear we didn't documented it well. As far as I
remember it was no fun. Could be - because we don't create for Seoul VMs
regularly. So, we have no ready to use work-flow we could share. Setting
up a VM with Virtualbox is - in that regard - much more user-friendly.

The other option of course is to install your intended VM setup on a
disk - or in a VM on a virtual disk, e.g. use Virtualbox on your
Linux/Windows. Finally use the raw disk image for Seoul - there are ways
to convert a vdi/vmdk image into a raw disk image. A hybrid iso/usb
bootable image should also work in principal as raw disk image - however
never tried.

Just a note - you may need several iterations of Linux kernel
configuration tweaking and rebuilds until you may get it running in
Seoul. Seoul was/is more or less a research VMM and does not support
everything out-of-a-box what a standard Linux distribution kernel
enables/expects from the hardware.

Regards,

Alex.