exploring Mesa in Genode

Jamey Sharp jamey at ...343...
Sat Sep 5 03:01:39 CEST 2015

Alright, I've found a Dell Latitude D620, which has a physical serial
port and Intel 945 integrated graphics. The eglgears demo runs when
built from Genode 14.05, and I can see from the console output that
it's hardware accelerated. So that's great!

My guess is that the fastest way I can prototype separating the driver
into its own address space is to modify the old linux_drivers code,
rather than trying to port the modern Intel driver from a current
Linux kernel release. But I'd prefer to work against Genode master, if
that isn't too much work to throw at a prototype.

What would it take to forward-port the old linux_drivers code from
2010 into dde_linux on current Genode master? (Or should I just build
a throwaway demo against 14.05 to prove the concept, and help with
porting the modern Intel driver later?)

As one experiment in that direction, I tried running eglgears built
from Genode 14.11, which I guess was the last release that had
dde_kit. Even with the patch to not free a static array, it opens a
blank window. The console output stops after these messages:

[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] native_probe*
native_create_probe(EGLNativeDisplayType): not yet implemented dpy=0
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] native_probe_result
native_get_probe_result(native_probe*): not yet implemented
[init -> launchpad -> init -> nit_fb] using xywh=(300,300,576,408)

On the 14.05 release, where the demo works, the output continues past
that. It starts with:

[init -> launchpad -> init -> nit_fb] using xywh=(300,100,576,408)
refresh_rate=0
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] native_probe*
native_create_probe(EGLNativeDisplayType): not yet implemented dpy=0
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] native_probe_result
native_get_probe_result(native_probe*): not yet implemented
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears]
I915_gpu_driver::I915_gpu_driver(): module_agp_intel_init returned 0,
driver at 14e27a0
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] dev_info: Intel 945GM Chipset
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] dev_info: detected 7932K stolen memory
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears] dev_info: AGP aperture is 256M
@ 0xd0000000
[init -> launchpad -> init -> eglgears]
I915_gpu_driver::I915_gpu_driver(): call drm_agp_init

Plus another 20 lines or so. Any idea why it's failing?
Jamey