exploring Mesa in Genode

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Sep 4 11:09:40 CEST 2015

Hi Jamey,

On 03.09.2015 23:22, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> Hooray, eglgears runs on this old Thinkpad when I build it from Genode
> 14.05 and the 12.11 toolchain! Until I get a serial console I guess I
> can't tell for sure whether it's using softpipe or hardware
> acceleration, though.
>
> Based on the stack trace you got, I debugged the problem with eglgears
> on the newer toolchain (it attempted to pass statically allocated data
> to free()) and included a trivial patch in the GitHub issue you
> opened.

congratulations, and thanks for the fix! :-)

> My current test laptop has a CardBus slot but not ExpressCard, as far
> as I can tell; does that matter?

Yes, as long as the serial device appears as a PCI device, you are fine.
You can find this topic discussed in Section "7.7.3. Log output on
modern PC hardware" in our documentation [1].

[1] http://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-15-05.pdf

> There's nothing in its BIOS about
> turning on AMT so I'm guessing it doesn't have that. I'm trying to
> scrounge up other laptops now with either of those options and
> sufficiently old Intel graphics.

Btw, in the meantime, I have started to work on porting the Intel KMS
driver from Linux 3.14.5 to Genode. The code in Linux' drm/i915/ changed
substantially since my original GPU experiments. So I am building a
fresh driver environment for the new version rather than attempting to
update the five-year-old driver. However, right now, I am focusing on
the video-mode-setting side of things, not the GPU.

For this work, I am using a refurbished Thinkpad x201 as test machine.
It is fairly cheap, has Intel graphics, and is equipped with both Intel
AMT and an Express-card slot.